Friday, January 05, 2007

What I'm Reading -- Monster Blood Tattoo: Foundling Vol. 1 by D.M. Cornish

Rossamund is an orphan boy with a girl’s name. In this substantial fantasy, Cornish introduces his innocent, but tougher-than-he-seems character. Rossamund is hoping that he will be drafted into the military so that he can fight the monsters that roam near the world’s cities. Instead, after weeks of waiting he is forced to become a lamplighter, which he assumes is boring. He is then expected to travel to his new home by himself. Naive to the world around him, Rossamund falls into a series of adventures with pirates, monster fighters and giants. It took a little while for me to get in to it, but once I did, I was amazingly hooked. Cornish has created a wonderfully complex world and an engaging character in Rossamund. This is a must read fantasy series and I am looking forward for Vol. 2. There is a lot to digest about Rossamund's world to appreciate this book, but I thought it was well worth it.

No comments: