Sunday, March 12, 2006

Music Review -- Final Straw by Snow Patrol


This album is almost two years old, but it has officially earned status as one of Vin Swanson’s favorite CDs. I came to it late, only hearing it for the first time less than a year ago. Snow Patrol is a British band led by Gary Lightbody, who also plays with the Reindeer Section. The band balances itself between U2-like athemic rock, Deathcab-like emo pop/rock and shoegazer/singer-songwriter stuff like Starflyer 59. The writing is strong and raises Final Straw up as a great CD. On Tiny Little Fractures they sing, “Is there a T-shirt I can wear/ Coz I am soaking look at me/ What do you mean I don't love you/ I am standing here, aren't I/ Maybe you thought of it first/ Maybe I get all the praise/ Is there a place I can go/ Is there a light to get me there.” Obsession, the ups and downs of relationships and the attitudes of men are all covered here in mostly up-tempo tracks. Deathcab and Coldplay fans should get in to this. This is my favorite disc over the last couple of years and I’m excited that a new album is coming out in a few months.

3.50 out of 4.00 on the Vin Swanson Scale.

No comments: