Monday, December 18, 2006

What I'm Reading -- Clay by David Almond

Award winning author David Almond’s latest novel is a horror story called Clay. Clay is actually a Frankenstein-type monster created by 13-year old Davie and the creepy new kid in town, Stephen. Clay takes place in England following Davie and his friend, who are both altar boys. The lads are then led to befriend Stephen, who has a mysterious and possibly demonic past, but who might be able to help them handle the equally scary neighborhood bully. This is an incredibly creepy novel and basically becomes a psychological thriller since Almond leaves Davie confused about what is really happening for most of the book. Davie and the reader are never certain who has powers and what actions are actually affecting the world around them. This is quite scary, but fun and well written. More mature readers of Darren Shan's Cirque du Freak series will appreciate this.

1 comment:

Jackie Parker said...

I can't read David Almond. He makes me feel all claustrophobic and creeped out. I know that he's good and I just gave Clay to a girl who liked Robert Cormier & Fantasy, but I can't allow myself to go through it myself.